Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Missing Toenails and Other Questions

So.......today was run # 5.  Am I allowed to call it a run yet?  Let's say that today was jog #5 (from the start).

Monday had started my 10 week plan for training for the half marathon.  Tuesday, today, and tomorrow are all supposed to be 3 miles and then 4 on Sunday.

There is a hill that starts my route each day.  I walk up the hill, from my driveway {to warm up ;)  LOL} and then begin my jog.  When reaching the starting point for my jog........I had a  question about my training.  There had been a car accident (the cop told me that the driver walked away, thank goodness) and the street was blocked off, which meant that I had to take a detour.  This was going to take me close to an extra mile over my original route.  Should I swap my 4 mile day on Sunday, for today? Is that enough to really matter?  I had hoped to stick to the 10 wk plan to the T, but it's already screwed up.

I think that this is no big deal, but then my head started spinning with all the little questions that have been racking up over the past few weeks.  These questions have been stemming from all the worries, problems, fears, etc that I overhear and conjure up in my head.

     Do I really need to pay attention to the mileage that I'm racking up, so I know when I need new sneaks?  Will I just feel it?  Will I even run enough to matter?
   
 Should I be wearing special socks?  Do I need compression socks? If I don't wear them, will I get nasty veins?  Would running make any difference in my leg veins, if powerlifting and bodybuilding hadn't?

     How long of a run will I do, before I need one of those water belts?  Should I really be eating and drinking more, before I go for my run?  I only get up like 10 min, before I head out the door and hate having anything in my stomach.

     I've heard a lot about bad heel striking?  I don't have pain now, but should I be running more on the ball of my foot?  Will I all of a sudden have horrible pain, because I may be running wrong?

     Will my toenails fall off?!  I can deal with black toenails, because I always have them painted and I like dark nail polish.  Missing nails will NOT look good in my cute sandals this summer and I have a feeling that my teenage daughter will remind me of this, every time she may see it.  I haven't had even a slight pain in any toe yet, so no worries.  I even cut them last night, which made me worry all night.  Did I cut them too short?!  No, they seem fine.

     There are a lot of slugs out in the morning.  Do they slither up trees and if so, will they drop on my head?  I ran my hand over my head, quite a few times this morning.  Caterpillars are a BIG fear of mine, so I'm always on the lookout for them too.

     Am I going to have to worry about chafing at all?  How far of a run will it take to chafe?

     I want to squat and deadlift.  Should I do it today and jog tomorrow, so that when my legs hurt the worst, it'll be a full rest day?  Would the jogging, just loosen me up, if I have some DOMS?  Might be good, but I'd hate to wake up and give myself a reason to stay in bed, rather than go for my jog.

     Should I be wearing a visor or glasses?  The sun is getting brighter by the end of my jog and I don't want to help the wrinkles out any by squinting.  On the other hand......would a visor make my forehead break out?
  
     Will all the real runners, think Im a joke for even asking all of these?  Will they say 'she only ran 13 miles this week.  what's she crying about?' ?

OK.  ENOUGH WHINING FOR NOW!!!!!!!!!  I'll just take it jog by jog and listen to my body.  Everyone is different and no one knows me better than ME.   :)

No comments: